Saturday, December 26, 2009

The best Christmases are the ones we least expect


Yesterday was the first Christmas in my entire life without extended family around. We were excited about spending the day with our son and his family at their house thirty miles away. There we would share opening presents and stuffing ourselves with turkey and trimmings.

We got white Christmas'd in. My husband, normally fearless where weather conditions are concerned, was out snow blowing our drive-way when our son called and said, while out attempting to run an errand, he couldn't get ten yards from his house. The drifts were so deep, it took the boy ten minutes just to turn around to go back home. So after my husband finished with our drive-way, and our elderly neighbor's drives, we settled in for a snug little Christmas, just the two of us.

I fixed omelettes with the cool little omelette maker we got last Christmas, and since we didn't buy a turkey or a ham, I thawed out some chicken breasts from Sam's Club and prepared a fabulous tasting baked chicken dish. Yum.

We opened our presents, four of which were new videos, and after dinner drank champagne and watched movies. An hour of telephone calls to distant family members, and we were pooped.

Though we missed out watching the glee of our grandchildren open their gifts, and the joy of family and friends, we toasted our wonderful day together, the best Christmas gift of all, a time to share our love for each other, and slept snug and warm in our bed.

I hope everyone had as wonderful a Christmas as we.

God Bless.
Bookmark and Share
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't get your planned Christmas but not sad you had a cosy, loving time with your DH.
    Happy Scribbling 2010

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well your post is very nice and interesting. I had a very good christmas with my friends and my family. I enjoyed a lot. Hope that this new year may also brings happiness to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you were able to derive joy from what might have been perceived as a sad situation. Its nice to have special time with hubby.

    Have a Happy New Year!

    ~ Just Joany
    Red Wagon Flights

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your Christmas sounds so romantic! Ours was nice too-just much more noisy. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Searching for somewhere to contact you...not really leaving a comment...but, I guess this is...lol.

    Thank you Joe Anne for your helpful hints. I’m new to blogging and need all the help I can get. Jump over to my blog if you have a minute and let me know what you think. I’ve been following your site from your Goodreads. Thank you.
    Elizabeth

    Hi Elizabeth;
    You're more than welcome...if you'd like an awesome (if I don't say-so-myself...lol) resource book with even more valuable tips for writers, you can upload the entire eBook for under $10. The physical book "Premium Promotional Tips for Writers" is now available anywhere online.

    Here's the ebook link: http://bit.ly/84N7dj
    Physical resource book: http://vandermeulen.laurusbooks.com/

    Many endorsements from fellow-writers (like you) are listed and publically displayed for others to read. Check it out...you may be there.

    Thank you for your business...a win-win...spread the word...:).

    Many blessings and have a Happy New Year!

    Author Jo-Anne Vandermeulen
    “Premium Promotional Tips for Writers”
    http://vandermeulen.laurusbooks.com/

    Jo-Anne Vandermeulen
    Owner and Marketeer of
    *Premium Promotional Services*
    www.premiumpromotions.biz

    ReplyDelete